Marian sent me an email on Tuesday and reminded me that our first session with Stephen was coming up in a couple of days! Yikes - I rapidly finished the third vase that was sitting under plastic for the last week. On this one I decided to do a landscape as I feel that it will be easier try different glazes and have success than with the woman pots. I also need to make a bunch of smaller sample pots with appliques and test out glazes. Fortunately I received an email from Stephen delaying the monthly session, giving me more time to get my pictures together. On Wednesday I finally pulled handles on 11cups that I had thrown last week. I use an old fridge as a damp cupboard and the cups were still soft enough to attach the handles. Did a rather messy job - but will keep at it. I really need to start with smaller rolls of clay at the start and the attachment point is still very thick - out of proportion to the rest of the handle. Maybe the cups have too much on them - throwing rings at the top, stamp and then the wacks at the bottom, though I like the long wacks that go up the cup - look like sails of a boat and go with the stamp of water and sun. Actually I find the throwing rings also repeat the water waves in the stamp. I tried stamping some smaller bowls but found the flat stamps did not work well on the curves - so made some fish stamps on rounded surfaces and so will see if these work better. Had to make more teabag rests - almost sold out of them - sold over 50 in July - so they are a nice source of income. I will try some appliques on the teabag rests so then can use them as glaze samples as well. Also need to make some more olive canoes - as these sell well for the tourists. Will try to incorporate stamps, appliques to those as well. On Saturday helped with a culture grant workshop for kids at a farmers market in Killaloe - about an hour away from us. As the market was just in its first year the attendance was very poor - but it was a nice location with a beautiful old barn and a great little band with a neat washtub bass. Get an old washtub, tape off the holes for the handles, attach a bass G-string with washers to the middle of the tub and the other end to a stick. Notch the bottom of the stick and rest it on the bottom ridge when playing.
In Dec 2009 I renamed my first blog to Centered - Focus on Clay and Creativity - as I have finished my year long journey workshop with Steven Hill. The focus will continue to be on thoughts about my work - about creativity, design and function...................
I have been making pottery off and on for 40 years, exploring many different aspects of ceramics. I named my pottery business after "The Newfoundout" - the secluded valley high in the Opeongo Hills of eastern Ontario where we own an abandoned farm and where in 2007 I built a wood-fired kiln. I normally fire in a gas kiln in Deep River, Ontario, at the Deep River Potters' Guild, but do several wood firings in the summer.
This blog originally documented my year long "journey workshop" with Steven Hill. It was an incredible "journey" which had a profound effect on my work and as was the North Bay mentorship. I highly recommend this type of workshop to anyone who is interested in exploring their work and creativity.