Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Journey Workshop July 21 to July 26 - Back to my Journey Goals

Well with MISSA over it has taken me several days to get back onto track of working on my "journey" goals - getting a more unified look on pots that really excite and satisfy me.

I started throwing some larger pieces in bottle shapes, with the intent of adding applique work. However I found that shapes with a belly just do not look good with that type of decoration - the belly protrudes and appliques just sticks it out more. So I ended up making bottles with more oval shape, and adding a slab bottom. The flattened side provides a canvas. I often try out designs first with paper cutouts.






At MISSA on the bellied bottles,(see the bottom photo)- instead of hitting the foot with a stick, I decided to stomp down on the foot with the end of a stick and this gives a different look that I like. I also sometimes added a clay button first and then stomped down. Once home I have carried through with this method on my paint pots, bottles, vases, cups etc. and I'll see how I can integrate this into my other designs.

3 comments:

teresa said...

I really enjoy your blog and your potsy.

DJ said...

i want your studio! where is that turquoise body of water outside the window.
this studio is gorgeous -- as is your work!!!

Newfoundout Potter said...

Hi DJ - My studio? I wish! That is where the pottery classes are held for MISSA - Metchsoin International School of the Arts near Victoria. I highly recommend it - they have a few workshops in June but mostly there are the two weeks in July.